It doesn’t matter if it’s boot or sandal season, because pedicures are a quick pick-me-up that can last you weeks. Usually, clients tend to have fun choosing more daring color choices on toes (think glitters, bright colors, or rich darks). They don’t take much time out of your day, either; you can expect a pedicure to be between 60 to 90 minutes. Although they're often viewed as an occasional treat, scheduling regular pedicures is good practice. It’s recommended to get them every two to four weeks, depending on your lifestyle.
Before we get into the different types of pedicures, here are five things to consider to get the most out of your service:
- Do book out your service, because walk-ins are not guaranteed, and a rushed service is not relaxing. Make sure you leave enough time to park and find the salon. The last thing you want to do is arrive late to your appointment, because there’s a risk you’d have to reschedule or receive a shortened service.
- It’s not always pleasant to discuss, but a critical detail for everyone’s health and safety is to disclose if you have diabetes, injuries, or fungal infections.
- Skip shaving: there’s a higher risk of skin irritation, especially if you are getting a service that includes a scrub.
- Don’t clip your nails before seeing your nail tech, but do communicate what length you’d like. As for shaping, square is best for toes.
- Don’t be afraid to communicate if you’d like to read a book or put on some headphones. It’s totally acceptable for this type of service. Be aware that your tech may check in with you during the service, which is a good thing!
Should you get polish or gel? Classic polish is great for all occasions, but there are reasons to choose gel for toes. Gel is more resilient than regular polish. It’s great if you’re going on an extended vacation. Spending time in the sand? Gel top coat shine doesn’t dull. Also, gel doesn’t chip like classic polish, which is ideal if you frequently wear open-toed shoes.
So… which pedicure is best for you? It depends! Are you looking to freshen up, indulge, or treat rough skin? Knowing what result you want will help you choose the right service.
WELLNESS | Fighting with roughness or calluses? This service is a miracle for feet that need a little extra care. It includes a Footlogix 5-Step system, which is a product line that specializes in transforming feet. This includes gentle foot soak, exfoliating seaweed scrub, callus softening spray, filing with their professional stainless steel file, very dry skin formula mousse and a non-greasy massage formula lotion. For the best possible results, you may need more than one Wellness service. Trust the process!
PARADISE | This is the most indulgent service on the menu! Hello Birdie designed a mindful pedicure service in collaboration with local indie skincare lines (because skincare does not stop at your face). On top of feeling luxurious, this service will revive dry, dull skin. Start with a cleansing soak, a fine grain scrub that feels more like a skin polish, lotion massage, refreshing toner mist, and finish with a nourishing serum and warm towel.
DELUXE | Your go-to pedicure! Whether you are a newbie to pedicures or a frequent flyer, consider this your baseline service. Expect the same care as a classic service, with an added exfoliating scrub, coconut infused lotion massage, and finished with a warm aroma towel. It’s difficult to decide a favorite: the scrub or the coconut? You’ll have to decide for yourself!
CLASSIC | This service is great if you need a refresher. Classic pedicures include soaking, cuticle care, nail shaping, foot filing, lotion massage, and are finished with a warm aroma towel. If you regularly get classic pedicures, try alternating every other pedicure service: The Wellness is great to keep calluses at bay, and the Paradise is great if you plan on wearing strappy heels or sandals.
There’s a lot more to pedicures than anticipated, right? As a client, education about salon services and practices help you feel more confident about what to ask for and what to expect. Found this guide helpful? Then you’re ready to book your appointment!